[vsnet-chat 6488] 93 comp star for RS Oph

> The bright star marked var? south of RS Oph on Sebastian's chart (AAVSO
93)
> is not likely variable and should be retained as a comparison. The
> measurements from ASAS 3, Tycho and Henden (recent) all agree.
>
> Tycho-2  9.34V,  B-V 1.22
> Henden  9.319V, B-V 1.171
> ASAS-3 data is  9.31V.
>
> The source of concern on Otero's part was from his use of the magnitudes
in
> Arne's original data, which is saturated at this level and therefore
> unreliable.
>
> Needless to say, anyone lucky enough to use this comparison in making an
> estimate or measure will be witnessing something special!

I wish I could use it!
Anyway, let me clarify that my concern regarding variability of HD 162215
wasn't based on Arne's previous deeper data (I supposed it could be a
saturated measure) but in a V measure in the GCPD:
V= 9.68, B-V= 1.266.
This is from Connelley M., and Sandage A., Photoelectric observations of RS
Ophiuchi, 1978, PASP 70, 600.
Arne's measure gained another meaning after I saw that measure....
But....
ASAS-3 data don't support variability. And now Arne has obtained a
consistent result with Tycho-2 and ASAS-3, so... I think it could be used as
a comparison star as Mike suggested.

Of course, now the charts are issued, an eclipse or something will happen
;-))
BTW it is a single-lined spectroscopic binary (Latham, 2002).

> As mentioned elsewhere, there is a typo in the declination for RS Oph on
> Otero's chart.
> It should be -06 42 28.6 not -06 42 18.6.

Fixed ;-)

> The recent reported brightening of RS Oph does seem to be real. Henden's
> most recent observation (of unknown specific date UT, sorry) is 10.759V,
B-V
> 1.108 with errors expected to be +/-0.003.
>
> Whether or not RS Oph is ready to impress us again is yet to be seen. But
> seem to recall WZ Sge was a little earlier than expected this time around,
> so you never know, do you? That is what makes this so much fun.
>
> There seems to be some discrepancy as to whether RS Oph is a NRa or NRb
> between GCVS and Webbink's paper. Any comments/clarification on this would
> be most welcome.

The GCVS team simply didn't use the distinction between thermonuclear
runaway events (NRa) or disk instability events (NRb). That would be a
useful thing to add in a future release.
RS Oph is an NRb.

> There is a very good article on RS Oph by Kerri Malatesta, in the Variable
> Star of the Month archives at AAVSO
> http://vsnet.aavso.org/vstar/vsotm/0500.stm

A great piece of work.
I think VSOTM is a great contribution for the field from AAVSO. Congrats!

Sebastian.

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku