[vsnet-chat 6475] Re: flares in Mira stars

Re: [vsnet-chat 6471] flares in Mira stars

   The "classical" paper I referred to was ApJ 366, 39L (1991) by
B. E. Schaefer.  This paper was scanned, and available at ADS
website.

   A modern reference based on Hipparcos photometry can be found
in A&A 330, 169 (1998).  The authors suggested that VO molecules
may be responsible for this phenomenon.  Although I am not aware
of the Hipparcos ability to detect this kind of short-lived
phenomena, could someone read this paper and make a comment?
[Given the higher quality and amount of the data, this paper
would be a better target for a more critical reading.  If the
same phenomenon was recorded independently by ground-based CCDs
or photographs, the vailidity of the event could become much
higher].

Return to the Daisaku Nogami