[vsnet-chat 6253] RE: [vsnet-lpv 149] Is Betelgeuse faint?

> We even received a report today
> that Betelgeuse has dramatically faded to a second-magnitude star(!).
> [There is even a rumor that the star may disappear...?]
>
>    Although I haven't had a chance to check its magnitude, is the star
> this faint?  Perhaps we need to follow the object even in daytime before
> the star completely fades away .. ;-)

;-)) This is a good one!
Yes, Betelgeuse is the faintest I have seen it since I started observing
back in 1994, but it's still brighter than its 1.3 recorded extreme minimum.
This is an extract from my records of this fading.
This is a good chance to express how different it is to display a lightcurve
with data to 2 decimal places instead of only one, specially for small
amplitude variables.
All my records show 2 decimal places although I only report a few naked eye
stars this way to vsnet.

Betelgeuse's fading:

2685.520     0.62
2695.531     0.67