[vsnet-chat 6207] Binocular Charts for Southern Objects

Hi All,

I'm talking to a group of people interested in observing on Saturday night and began looking for some useful charts for southern binocular objects. Some of these are l Carinae, U Carinae, kappa Pavonis, R and S Carinae, L2 Puppis, theta Apodis. I tried the AAVSO charts area but there seemed no way to get at stars with greek letters and the charts for stars like R and S Carinae and L2 were 50 years old with all the stars the same size.The magnitudes seemed to be from Harvard. The RASNZ VSS didn't even have a web site. There was a binocular group but the stars in this are not those which would appeal to beginners.

Does any one know of a useful source of good, attractive charts which I can access on the Internet? Preferably black stars on a white background. Probably these sources have been on the web innumerable times but I don't usually get too involved in visual observing. And I must admit that with all the discussions about charts I expected to find some excellent beginners' charts on the AAVSO website. I can always use Bill Gray's Project Pluto but why reinvent the wheel?

Regards,
Stan

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku