[vsnet-chat 2905] (fwd) novae statistics

 Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 17:07:08 -0600 (CST)
 From: Eduardo Xavier Amador <Eduardo.Xavier@fis.cinvestav.mx>
 Subject: novae statistics

Hi!...
i'm Xavier Amador, a mexican physicist trying to seek info about
novae statistics... i've surfed internet lots of hours and
can't find the info i need...
could you help me???
i want to know if there exist any type of statistics count on novae
on the milky way and on any other galaxies...
the latest info i have is that there is 25 novae per year
in our galaxy... but i cant trust this info because i believe
that a statistic of cataclismic variables doesnt exist
just because that would means that there exist a periodic
behaviour of this kind of stars in any galaxy... 25 novae
per year seems ridiculous to me!... may be a MEAN of this
stars may exist, but that doesnt means that this MEAN keeps
equal year to year... in fact this have to vary because
there's no evidence that exist a periodic behavior of this
kind of stars in our galaxy or in any other galaxy!!!

could you confirm this or am i wrong?

THANKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION!!!
bye!
Xavier Amador