[vsnet-chat 2477] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] GRB notification process

Re: [AAVSO-DIS] GRB notification process

> Berto drew our attention to this possible GRB/SNe association.
> There has been much discussion on this case in the literature
> and at meetings.  The background was that when the GRB went off,
> SAX found two X-ray sources in the error box.  One was centered
> on SN 1998bw; the other was a fading X-ray source (classical
> counterpart to other GRBs).  This second source was ignored,
> and the SNe was speculated to be the counterpart, especially
> since the SNe occurred within a day or so of the GRB.  Many
> models were produced, showing how a hypernovae (a more massive
> star than a supernovae progenitor) could produce beamed gamma
> rays, and spectra also showed 1998bw to be unusual.  Still,
> the classical source was ignored.

   I don't know what is the current consensus of this event (probably none
yet reached), but I have heard the existtence of the second "fading X-ray
source" was not so significant as was prevously claimed to be, by later
examination of the discovery data.