[vsnet-chat 2371] Re: Further on NGC 495 classification

Hi Brian and others,

it's interesting to see the variation in the classification given by some of the experts regarding a nearby galaxy. It surely points at the diversity of morphologies and the fact that each galaxy has its own personality.
But like Hitoshi stated it is important to be able to categorise them reasonably accurate in order to derive expectations and probabilities for the different types of SNe in them. According to recent findings there is quite a substantial difference in the SN rate between a Sbc and a Sb, not to mention Sa (or even Sab).
Are there any accepted standards for the different categories, descriptions in the way Brian mentioned or preferably a set of example galaxies?

With permission some more queries:

Somewhere I saw NGC 6744 listed as of an early type, I'm sure it is Sbc or later.
Is NGC 613 a good example of a SBc?
How would one categorise NGC 1300, SBb or SBbc?
Is NGC 1291 an SBab or a SBa?

What do the experts say...

Best regards,

Berto Monard