[vsnet-chat 2370] Re: Corwin on NGC 495 classification

Dear Prof. Skiff, Prof. Cowrin and all,

>     From Harold Corwin in re the classification of NGC 495.  Looks
>like Hitoshi and I need some recalibration!

Thank you very much, Prof. Skiff and Prof. Cowrin, for the sincere
handlings of my intuitive classification from the seeming of NGC 495.
Sure, I guess the classification in RC3 is too early because it has
open arms.  Though my estimate (SBbc) was somewhat too later, the DSS2
image seems to me that it has very clear arm than classified as 0/a.

I am interested in supernovae, concerning which the classification of
the galaxies is important because the early galaxies would produce
little (or no) gravitational-collapsed SNe (in other words, little SNe
other than SNeIa).  About the morphology of galaxies, my concern is
rather stricted on the stage of the host, from which I would make some
insight about the type of SN in it.

Recently there was another example: SN 1999eg.  The host galaxy IC
1861 is classified in RC3 as .LA.0.. (stage -2.0), so I expected that
it would be of type Ia.  However, the spectroscopy has revealed that
is of type II.

From SN 1999eg, I have learned that the early stage (such as S0 or L)
in the catalog of galaxies does not mean that there is no recent star
formation.  Is this correct?  The spectroscopy of SN 1999ej in NGC 495
has not been reported, which is able to give us another example.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp