[vsnet-chat 1824] GM Sgr (Re: [vsnet-obs 20232])

Ron Webbink wrote:
>Goranskij's star appears in the Guide Star Catalog as GSC 6848.03786.  It is
>misidentified in Downes & Shara (1993), but can be found on their chart
>~5.5mm S and ~2mm E of the star that is marked.  Its coordinates have been
>corrected in DWS (1997), but a corrected chart was not issued, in light of
>Goranskij's conclusion that it is, after all, not a novalike variable.
  Perhaps I misread IBVS 3464.  Goranskij specifically writes that he
discovered an outburst of this star in June 1978 about two magnitudes (B=12.4)
over the mean quiet level (B=14), and that the star is 'very blue'
(B-V = 0.37 according to the one photoelectric measure).  The eclipsing
binary classification seems reasonable based on his photographic
light curve in the IBVS, but the one burst does not seem to preclude
novalike behavior in my mind (at least, if you define novalike=CVlike).
Do you have additional information beyond this IBVS note?
Arne