[vsnet-chat 1033] NSV 11280

Recently while perusing the 1997 edition of the Downes, Webbink and Shara
catalog
of cataclysmic variables I noticed two suspected UG stars, NSV 11280 =Aql1 and
NSV 11297 = Aql2, which lie in the same low power field. They both have a
declination
of -2d59', and are only 37s apart in RA. Would be an interesting coincidence for
two brightish UG stars to lie so close together. I have checked the DWS
charts for both
stars, comparing against GSC chart, and DSS image.

NSV 11297 = Aql2.
No problems here, the DWS field matches the DSS. [The bright star in the
field is
V839 Aql].

NSV 11280 =Aql1.
The DWS chart does not match the DSS image. The published coordinates of Aql1 do
closely match GSC 5117.02130 (14.48) at 18:44:36.4, -2:59:7.3, but I doubt the
close companion of Aql1 shown in the DWS chart is the GSC star. The field, as
shown, does not match the DSS.

The sky region, for both stars, lies just north of the Scutum starcloud, in a
somewhat obscured region. The charts for Aql1 and Aql2 as given by DWS differ
quite noticeably in the respective background star densities, and it seems
clear
that the DWS chart for Aql1 is of a very different field from what was
intended.

The discovery of both stars was originally reported in Russian journals. I would
like confirmation of the published coordinates of Aq11 = NSV 11280, and any
other information.

Regards,
/Mati

  |  MOREL ASTROGRAPHICS                |
  |  Stellar Data & Information Centre  |
  |  c/o M. Morel                       |
  |  6 Blakewell Road,                  |
  |  Thornton  NSW 2322  AUSTRALIA      |
  |  Tel./fax: (02) 4966 2078                                   |
  |  151d38'33" E, 32d46'47"S           |
  |  e-mail: morel@ozemail.com.au       |