[vsnet-chat 1032] Re: (fwd) On SV Sge magnitudes

In connection with Arne Henden's remarks:

>You should *always* report what you see, whether or not that agrees with
> other observers.  Otherwise, you bias the results tremendously.  The
scatter
> of the observations is as important as the data mean, and in addition, it
> may just be a case of your estimates being on average fainter or brighter
> than other observers, a result than can be easily adjusted later.

I always remember what I was taught many years ago, in connection with
visual double star observing, although it applies equally well to visual
variable observing:

 That "good" observation which you made is never as good as you thought it
was, and similarly, that "bad" observation which you thought of discarding
is never as bad as you thought it was.

Therefore: Always report what you see. Never forestall the later
evaluation.

Jan Hers
Sedgefield
South Africa