[vsnet-alert 7029] Re: More on IM Nor

Re: More on IM Nor

Yamaoka-san wrote:

>   Actually, on DSS2 I or R image, this "star" is composed of at least
> three stars, line-uping ENE-WSW.  Liller's position is moderately
> coinsident with the most eastern star, whose rough position end
> figures are: 26s.42, 17".9.

   This possible identification seems to support a minimal outburst amplitude
of 11.5 mag (Wyckoff and Wehinger (1979) PASP 91, 173).  This value is
quite unexpected for a slow recurrent nova! (as well as strong [O I] line,
suggesting a fair amount of ejecta comparable to those of classical novae).

   Similar (but with a lesser degree) of surprise has been found in CI Aql.
It may be possible we are encountering a new era of discoveries of a new
class of recurrent novae!

   The faint quiescent counterpart could also be explained if the system
was seen near edge-on.  In such a case, we can expect that eclipse can
emerge (as in U Sco and CI Aql) as the nova fades.  Continuous photometry
would be helpful in testing this possibility!