[vsnet-alert 2139] PQ Aql outburst confirmed

Dear colleagues,

Further extensions to the CCD data reduction and analysis software modules,
in use at CBA Belgium Observatory, now allow me to generate "quasi"
real-time light curves of incoming time-series FITS images. Moreover, using
this technique I can, almost automatically, perform a period determination,
within a couple of minutes after a series of images has been acquired.

Tonight (Sep 5/6), I have been using the above set-up to observe PQ Aql. I
herewith confirm the outburst of this object, reported by Timo Kinnunen on
Sep 1, 1998. My observations of this evening show the object at mag. 15.1
(unfiltered), using a 0.25-m f/6.3 SCT and ST-7 CCD. I acquired about 25
images, over a time span of nearly 35 minutes, during a short break in the
clouds. The resulting light curve clearly indicates the object is *not*
constant - on the contrary. Unfortunately, bad weather currently prevents
further observations. Observatories at other longitudes might want to give
some help. I'm pretty sure this object will reveal some interesting facts
about its variability type!

Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium