[vsnet-alert 111] AL COM position

This message is transmitted from the astronomer group
*****************
AL COM
Nick James, Chelmsford, has e-mailed an image file of the current
outburst which shows the star broadly in the location plotted in
the e-chart sent with E943.
He also has measured a precise position from an image secured on
1995 April 6 at 22.15UT using the 0.30-m reflector:
RA 12h32m25.83s DEC +14 20'43.0"[2000]

Note that this position is NOT that same as that given in the downes and shara
catalogue (Feb 1993 PASP), but does agree with the position I recently measured from a deep CCD image of AL Com I took during minimum light.
so I think we now have the correct position. Also note that the star
does not even appear on the downes and shara chart, as it was too faint to be
seen on the plate used to make that chart.

I have been organizing a multi-wavelength campaign of observations for
AL Com. thaks to all that have responed and are beginning to take data.
Ground-based spectroscopy is the weakest area to date. please attempt
to get any optical spectra possible. IR spectra and sub mm radio
observations are also likely to be performed as part of this outburst
campaign. HST observations were not approved, and other UV observations are
being persued.

Cheers, Steve

 Steve B. Howell
 Planetary Science Institute, Astrophysics Group
 620 N. 6th Ave.
 Tucson, AZ 85705  USA
 Phone (520) 622-6300
 Fax (520) 622-8060