[vsolj-alert 552] MKN501 etc.

From mattox@gamma.bu.edu Fri Mar  3 07:08 JST 2000
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:07:06 -0500
From: John Mattox <mattox@gamma.bu.edu>
To: webt_distribution@gamma.bu.edu
Cc: Chiharu TANIHATA <tanihata@astro.isas.ac.jp>,
        Tadayuki Takahashi <takahasi@astro.isas.ac.jp>, rmujica@inaoep.mx
Subject: WEBT campaigns for Mrk 501 and IDV study

Dear WEBT Collaborator,

The WEBT is now beginning two campaigns, one for Mrk 501, and the second,
a study of radio/optical IDV.

ASCA began an x-ray observation of Mrk 501 yesterday which
will continue till Mar 11, 00:00 UT. Simultaneous optical
coverage for this entire interval with sub-hour time resolution
could be very valuable. Stefan Wagner will coordinate this, see
http://vsnet.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/~swagner/obs-campaign.html
for updated details.
My colleague, Svetlana Marchenko will be observing MRK 501 on the
Perkins beginning tonight.

Please refer to Stefan's note which I will sent next by e-mail for
details of the Mrk 501 campaign and the IDV campaign.

The IDV campaign runs from now until the beginning of April.
It will attempt full coverage at radio- and optical wavelengths
between March 8 and March 24. The aim is to search for correlated
IDV (intra-day variation) at radio and optical frequencies to settle
this important question. See
http://vsnet.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/~swagner/0716-march2000.html
for updated details.

I will be using the Perkins on the nights of 3/11-24 UT to participate
in the IDV campaign. I have agreed to coordinate optical coverage
in the Western hemisphere during this interval (during times when Stefan
is not available). I suggest that we work together to try to insure
that 0716+714, 0954+658, 1749+701, and 2007+777 all get optical coverage at
least as dense as in the optical as the radio if possible, and to
concentrate effort on just 0716+714, or 0716+714 and 0954+658
if they can't all be covered well.

I have posted a web page for 0954+658 which numerates
reference stars and gives R and B magnitude differences, see:
http://gamma.bu.edu/webt/blazars/0954+658.html

Cheers,
John Mattox

VSNET Home Page