Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:53:12 -0800
From: Timothy Ferris <loworbt@ibm.net>
To: Sonja Vrielmann <sonja@pinguin.ast.uct.ac.za>
Subject: "Seeing in the Dark"

Dear Ms. Vrielmann:

Though I have the impression that you are a professional rather than an
amateur astronomer, I thought you might like to see this letter, which
is being sent to a number of "stargazers," in which catagory I include
all those who love the night sky.  Please feel free to respond or to
pass the note along.

Regards,

tf

I am writing a book about amateur astronomy titled "Seeing in the
Dark."  It's neither a "how to" book nor a guide to the night sky, but
an investigation of how and why stargazers devote such time and effort
to their pursuit.  It has to do with what observing means to them, and
how and why they go about it.

In this connection, I would like very much to know more about your own
involvement in stargazing - for instance, how you became interested in
astronomy, and what role observing plays in your thoughts and emotions.
Please feel free to reply at any length.

Also, you are invited to pass this note along to other stargazers whom
you think might find a place in the book.  I am particular interested in
learning about amateur astronomers who have devoted unusual amounts of
their time and resources to casual observing or to ongoing research
projects.

In case you're not aware of my prior work in this field, I have taken
the liberty of including a brief biographical sketch.

With all best wishes,

 Timothy Ferris is the author of nine books on astronomy, physics, and
the history of science, among them the bestsellers The Whole Shebang: A
State of the Universe(s) Report, Coming of Age in the Milky Way,
Galaxies, and The Mind's Sky.  He is the author and narrator of two PBS
television specials -- "The Creation of the Universe," which has been
called "the best science documentary ever made," and the upcoming "Life
Beyond Earth", scheduled for release in 1999.

Ferris produced the Voyager phonograph record, an artifact of human
civilization containing music, sounds of Earth and encoded photographs
launched aboard the Voyager interstellar spacecraft, and was among the
journalists selected as candidates to fly aboard the Space Shuttle in
1986.  He has received the American Institute of Physics prize, the
American Association for the Advancement of Science prize, and a
Guggenheim Fellowship.  His books have been nominated for the National
Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.

A former newspaper reporter and editor of Rolling Stone magazine, Ferris
is a frequent contributor to The New Yorker, The New York Times,
Scientific American, and other publications.

Professor Ferris has taught in five disciplines at four universities,
and is currently emeritus professor at the University of California,
Berkeley.

--
Timothy Ferris
97 Telegraph Hill Boulevard