[vsnet 1464] Black-Hole Accretion Disks: New Publication for Astronomers from KUP

Black-Hole Accretion Disks: New Publication for Astronomers from KUP

Subject: New Publication for Astronomers from KUP
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 98 11:12:03 -0000
From: <Tetsuya.Suzuki@ma1.seikyou.ne.jp>

New Publication from Kyoto University Press, Japan

Introduction for Astronomers

Title :   Black-Hole Accretion Disks
Work  by
S. Kato
Department of Astronomy,
Graduate Shcool of Science,
Kyoto University

J. Fukue
Astronomical Institute,
Osaka Kyoiku University

S. Mineshige
Department of Astronomy,
Graduate Shcool of Science,
Kyoto University
Kyoto University Press
594 pages, more than 160 figures,
ISBN 4-87698-053-5
Price per copy    6,000  Yen
carriage cost (surface mail) is charged to customer

        The representative high-energy radiation sources in the universe,
such as active galactic nuclei (AGNs) and stellar-mass black hole
candidates, are believed to harbor black holes. Accretion onto black
holes is thought to maintain their activity. Theoretical studies on
black-hole accretion flows were initiated in 1960's, and the classical
picture of accretion disks had been established until early 1970's. As a
large body of observational data were accumulated in these decades,
however, gaps between the classical theories and the observations have
become clear, especially in the high-energy emission properties. A
distinct model had been awaited, and we now believe that advective energy
transport plays the key role for opening a new era in the research of
black-hole accretion disks.

        This book is a textbook on the theory of black-hole accretion
disks. It consists of five parts:
        We first outline the historical background and the observational
evidences for black-hole accretion disks in Part I. Then, in Part II, the
classical disk pictures, together with their limitations, are summarized.
In Part III, we construct new models, taking into account full terms in
the basic equations. Characteristics of these new models are summarized
and discussed. Part IV is devoted to review instabilities, waves and
oscillatory phenomena in black-hole accretion disks. Finally, in Part V,
we discuss other important physics, such as radiation spectra, turbulence
and magnetic fields.

        To our best knowledge, this is the first systematic review on the
recent disk models, emphasizing the results obtained by the group in
Kyoto. This book can be used as a basic reference for experts working in
related fields, as well as a standard textbook for graduate students in
astrophysics.

Contents

Part I Concepts of Accretion Disks

  Chap. 1 Introduction
  Chap. 2 Physical Processes Related to Black-Hole Accretion

Part II Classical Picture

  Chap. 3 Standard Disk Models
  Chap. 4 Thermal and Secular Instabilities of Standard Disks
  Chap. 5 Dwarf-Nova Type Thermal Instability
  Chap. 6 Tidal Instability
  Chap. 7 Steady Disk Accretion with Shocks

Part III Modern Picture of Black-Hole Accretion Disks

  Chap. 8 Equations to Construct Generalized Models
  Chap. 9 Transonic Nature of Accretion Disks
  Chap. 10 Advection-Dominated Accretion Disks
  Chap. 11 Instabilities of Advecvtion-Dominated Disks
  Chap. 12 Models of X-Ray Fluctuations

Part IV Disk Oscillations and Waves

  Chap. 13 Inertial-Acoustic and Gravity Waves
  Chap. 14 Non-Adiabatic Viscous Instability of Acoustic Waves
  Chap. 15 Acoustic Perturbations in the Inner Region of Disks

Part V Radiation, Magnetic Fields, and Turbulence

  Chap. 16 Radiation
  Chap. 17 Magnetohydrodynamic Instabilities
  Chap. 18 Turbulence

Appendix

  A. Kerr Metric and its Basic Properties
  B. Navier-Stokes Equations
  C. Basic Equations for Relativistic Viscous Fluid
  D. Radiative Transfer Equations
  E. Basic Equations for Relativistic Radiation Hydrodynamics
  F. Magnetohydrodynamic Equations
  G. Relativistic Equation of State
  H. Coolings of Relativistic Gas
  I. Analytical Solutions for Viscous Diffusion
  J. Self-Similar Solutions for Viscous Diffusion

Order Form
Payment acceptable
Credit Card: VISA, MASTER, AMEX
Please full out in the following form and send us by E-mail.

1. The number of copies that you request:

                    copy/copies of Black-Hole Accretion Disks

2. Name		:

3. Address		:

4. Fax No. 		:

5. Card		: