[vsnet 1412] Re: X Cas comparison sequence

Brian Skiff wrote:

>      Thanks to Kato-san for the additional comments on V777 Cas.  I suppose
> (not thinking too much here) that this is or could be one of the new class
> of very slowly-varying B stars mentioned in recent literature?

   It may be.  At least, the variablity doesn't seem to represent small-
amplitude short-term oscillations seen in most Be stars (non-radial pulsation
or rotation is considered).  This star may be more active than the usual
GCVS "BE" classification.  Since Hipparcos measurements only represent a
tiny section of possible long-term changes, it may be likely this star may
show activities with time scales of 10 to several tens of years, as in X Per
or gamma Cas (probably you may remember an "outburst" of some Be-type SA
photometric standard star several years ago).  This star, therefore, should
be carefully avoided as a comparison star (X Cas may not become this bright,
though..).