[vsnet 1144] Re: [vsnet-chat 720] Very good tool!

I agree that skycat is an excellent sky-charting tool for UNIX.

But I'd also like to bring another tool to the attention of variable star and
other amateur observers: 'xephem'. This tool is (in my opinion) EVEN BETTER
than skycat! It also allows Internet access to the GSC and ESO catalogs, as
well as providing an easily extensible (and already HUGE) database of deep-sky
objects from many fairly obscure catalogs. And finally, it provides the ability
to access Web pages describing individual deep-sky objects (including variable
charts). The author is
    Elwood Downey <ecdowney@noao.edu>
and you can find the software on the Web at:
    http://iraf.noao.edu/~ecdowney/xephem.html

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer