[vsnet 867] Precise positions for Landolt standard stars

     As part of work for our telescope control systems at Lowell Observatory,
I have produced a list of precise (~1") positions for all the 1100 standard
stars published in several papers by Arlo Landolt.  The list includes stars
from the first 1973 paper, two 1983 papers, and the more recent fainter stars
in the 1992 paper.  Although Landolt gives 0'.1-precision positions for the
stars, they are not really accurate in many cases, sometimes not even good
enough for centering a CCD frame on the multi-star sequences around PG stars
appearing in the 1992 paper.
     I'll post these at the Lowell Web site soon, but for the moment, the
files are available via the Lowell anonymous ftp server in the usual way,
specifically:

ftp ftp.lowell.edu
login: anonymous
password: (your e-mail address)
cd /pub/bas
get landolt.all
get landolt.notes
bye

The main file is 63Kb, and the short notes file is just 8Kb.  This position
file does not contain the photometric data, only positions and identifications
for the stars (SA, GSC, BD, HD and other names).  Landolt apparently objects
to the photometric data being available other than from himself or from the
Goddard or Strasbourg data centers.  It is quite easy to get the data files
from either site.
     If you find any errors or omissions in my file, I'll be glad to fix them.

\Brian Skiff  (bas@lowell.edu)