[vsnet-survey 4] (fwd) Re: Lotsa variables

(fwd) Re: Lotsa variables

From: aah@nofs.navy.mil
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:59:00 -0700
Subject: [vsnet-chat 2931] Re: Lotsa variables

Reading Greg's paper, I am surprised that he found
so many bright 'unknown' variables.  Shouldn't these
be in the Hipparcos/Tycho database?
  He finds about 5 percent of his stars are previously
identified variables.  We found that percentage with
the FASTT survey as well.  Part of the problem is
in the cross-identification with GCVS, since there
still remain large coordinate errors and misclassifications
within that catalog.  Hopefully with the various large
sky surveys currently underway (ASAS-II, ROTSE, LOTIS,
LONEOS, etc. come to mind), we will have firm identifications
for almost all of the GCVS/NSV variables.
Arne