[vsnet-sdor 82] Re: The RXTE X-ray lightcurve of Eta Car through April 25

>The RXTE X-ray lightcurve of Eta Car through April 25 is available at
>
>http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/corcoran/eta_car/etacar_rxte_lightcurve/
>
>The rate increased by about 2.4 cts/s over the previous day's observation

See, what did I tell you, Mike? ;-)

If I remember correctly we had gone through the same debate exactly
5.5-yrs ago. Just to avoid being fooled by Eta again, a better precursor
of the precipitous decline (after the REAL maximum) is the measure of
column density.

So far the change in flux is dictated by the change in emission
measure. But after the X-ray maximum, there will be an unmistakably
strong change in the softer end (2 -- 4 keV) of Eta's X-ray spectrum.
At least that was the case in the last cycle if I remember correctly.

# Column desity: for those who are not familiar with this term...
# This quantity is a cumulative number of proton particle found
# in between the object and Earth per unit area. Think of it as
# a measure of optical depth, with significant energy/wavelength
# dependence.

Cheers,

Bish

--

"Bish" K. Ishibashi, Ph.D.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Center for Space Research                 e  bish@space.mit.edu
77 Massachusetts Ave. NE80-6011           w  617 452 5122
Cambridge, MA 02139                       f  617 253 8084