[vsnet-sdor 42] (fwd) eta Carinae

From: "Stan Walker" <astroman@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:43:05 +1300
Subject: [vsnet-chat 5066] eta Carinae

Hi Bish,

The following measure may be of interest.20

eta Carinae        2452302.8814    5.154, 0.722, -0.316 (JDH, V, B-V, U-B)

Harry Williams made this on 28 January, 2002, at about 1.8 air masses so
there's a little uncertainty but still within ~0.05 magnitudes. The 60"
aperture includes some of the nebulosity so it compares quite well with
those visual observers getting 52 and 53. The slight reddening continues
but I wouldn't trust the U-B transformations at that altitude. I would
have expected it to be 0.1 to 0.2 fainter than this but it seems to be
following a slightly increased rate of brightening over the past 15
years. We hope to get some more measures as it gets higher in the sky.
These may show what's happening.

Regards,
Stan