[vsnet-sdor 38] Eta Carinae is not brighter

Peter wrote:

> My two recent observations (between our summer clouds and thick smoke from
> the bush fires currently surrounding Sydney) do not suggest any
brightening
> of Eta Car :
>
> STAR YYMMDD(UT) MAG OBSERVER
>
> CAReta 20011224.488 52 WPX
> CAReta 20020103.511 52 WPX

And I can confirm his observations. No supernova 2002 yet...
Eta Carinae is quite and continues a very slowly fading trend after its
recent maximum.

Recent observations already reported:

CAReta       20011122.228    52   OSE
CAReta       20011205.200    52   OSE
CAReta       20011215.226    53   OSE
CAReta       20011218.226    53   OSE
CAReta       20011223.210    53   OSE
CAReta       20011225.183    53   OSE
CAReta       20011226.174    53   OSE
CAReta       20020102.199    53   OSE

And tonight:

CAReta       20020107.134    53   OSE

I use to be 0.1 fainter than PEP(V) for this one, so Peter may be pretty
right. It is a very difficult object and what is important here is to find
every observer's response to eta's light.
Probably Jaime, Fraser and Andrew observe it half a magnitude brighter than
us but if they keep observing they won't see any change. That's the main
thing.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

---