[vsnet-rr 36] M3 supernova? query

M3 supernova? query

Dear Colleagues,

   We have received a query on "possible supernova detection in M3".

   The image is placed at:

   http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/SNe/query/M3/m3query.gif

   The object looks very blue on a false-color (BVR) image.

   My best conclusion is that the object is the Cepheid M3 V154, having
a period of 15.2842 d.  The extremely blue-looking color may have been a
result of the intrisically bluer color of the Cepheid (than many of the
cluster stars), and possibly as a result of variation between exposures
in different colors.  However, there would still remain a possibility
that the object has undergone some sort of a dramatic variation.
It would be meaningful to compare this image with recently taken images,
and with a visual look at the cluster.