[vsnet-newvar 1775] TbrV0174 and NSV 17186

Using two red plates and one blue plate from the NOFS image server,
TbrV0174 is confirmed as a large amplitude variable (probably a Mira),
and as being quite red.  The position agrees well with an IRAS source,
and a GSC2.2 and a USNO B1.0 star.

The GSC1.x star (GSC 8548 0393) cross identified with NSV 17186 in the
NSV supplement shows neither variation on these two red images nor any
difference in colour between the red and blue images (image samples
chosen at a scale to include both stars).

Give the NSV amplitude of 3 photographic magnitudes, this GSC 1.x star
seems an unlikely candidate for NSV 17186.

NSV 17186 is HV 12885, and the NSV reference is M.A.Wetzel, HA 109,
Nr.12, 1955, which I do not recognise.  However, I would hazard a guess
that seeing as HV is a Harvard Variable, HA means Harvard Annals or
similar.

Whether it is fair to say that TbrV0174 = NSV 17186, given the reported
amplitude of the latter and the nature of the former, or whether it is
fair to say NSV 17186 is lost and TbrV0174 is new, I do not know.  The
answer may lie in HA 109 Nr 12.

Certainly, no other coloured or large amplitude object lies within a
roughly 2' radius of NSV 17186's reported position.

John Greaves