[vsnet-newvar 1734] De-reddening of V-I Photometry for MisV1147

I have ran into a snag in my effort to de-redden Arne Henden's V-I photometry for MisV1147.  If you remember, I was trying to calculate the spectral class of the object.  To de-redden the photometry on of the quantities I need to know is E(V-I). To calculate E(V-I) I need to know the approximate distance.  This area of the sky has a high interstellar extinction, that is, 2.6<Av<3.3 mag at 1 kpc according to Neckel and Klare, 1980, Aston. Astrophys. Suppl. Ser. 42:215-281.  Doing a quick literature search in ADS didn't reveal a typical absolute magnitude for YSO's.  I have found wide variation in the estimated luminosity values for the objects.  Does anyone have a qualified guess as to what distance I should use in my de-reddening calculations?

Thanks,
Doug West
http://hometown.aol.com/dwest61506/index.html