[vsnet-lpv 170] (fwd) NMO Digest October 2003

From: "Mike Simonsen" <mikesimonsen@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:04:51 -0400
Subject: [vsnet-chat 6943] NMO Digest October 2003

NMO Digest October 2003

Observations:
Several new observers have joined in the effort to collect data on NMO
stars. After scanning the quick look files each month I have become familiar
with the regular contributors. It does my heart good to see new names pop
up. Bill Dillon recently joined in the fun and logged a much needed
observation of RT Sco on September 8th, 17.9V +/-0.25.

Some observers are almost entirely responsible for the data that exists in
certain constellations and for some particular stars. For example, Robert
James has taken on the responsibility of monitoring Libra and basically owns
R and Z Lib.

If you'd like a star or two of your own, check out the NMO Planning Tool,
find one nobody else is observing and start taking data.

Visual observers have done a great job of covering the stars brighter than
13.5V. Many visual observers are able to follow stars into the 14.5-15.0
range. Positive visual observations in the 16th magnitude range have been
logged by Vance Petriew for GQ Aur and AZ Her.

More CCD observations of faint minima are coming in to fill out the faint
parts of the lightcurves for these stars. SU Lyr seems to be beyond nearly
everyone's reach. Negative CCD obs are a pretty rare bird in the NMO data,
but most CCD observers are posting <17+ for this faint star. Ron Zissell has
the most recent positive observation, 17.66V on September 6. SU Lac is
another notably faint LPV, currently around 16.5V.

One of the initial objections to this plan when I originally proposed it a
few years ago was that it would be difficult or impossible to combine the
visual and CCD data. Overall, the visual and CCD data coincides better than
expected. The recent lightcurve for S Sco is a fine example.

S Sco is fading fast, last seen at 14.35V on September 8. Maybe we can get
one or two more points before it is lost to the sun.

NMO Planning Tool:
The NMO Planning Tool for October '03 has been sent to HQ and will be online
some time today.
http://vsnet.aavso.org/publications/bulletin/

Neglected stars:
Even though Orion is up well before dawn this time of year a couple stars in
Eridanus (T Eri and W Eri) are still in the No Data category.
It's been some time since we got observations of RR and W Cnc too. These two
are well above the horizon before dawn now.
Stars in Vel, Ant, Hya, Leo, LMi, and Com should get easier to do in the
morning as the month progresses.

LPV Charts:
Some good news this month is the release of new charts for some of the stars
on the NMO list. In many cases it has been the poor quality of the charts
and/or sequences that have prevented many of these stars from being
adequately covered by observers in the past.

New AAVSO charts are available for the following LPVs, many of them NMO or
former NMO stars.
http://vsnet.aavso.org/observing/charts/

Please update your charts for these stars.

V345 Aql- new seq.
V533 Aql- new seq.
TX Cam - new seq./ new charts
AQ Cyg- new seq./ new charts
AU Cyg- new seq. /new charts
DG Cyg- new seq. /new charts
FF Cyg- rev. seq. / new charts
V523 Cyg- new seq./ new charts
S Cyg- new seq./ new charts
RU Del- new seq. /new charts
SS Del- new seq. / new charts
AB Lyr- new seq. /new charts
RU Lyr- new seq. /new charts
RW Lyr- new charts
RX Lyr- new charts
ST Lyr- new seq. /new charts
ST Mon- new seq. /new charts
MR Per- new seq./ new charts
T UMi- new seq. /new charts
U UMi- new seq. /new charts

Several more are near completion and should be released around the time of
the next Digest.

Observer Totals:
As a way of acknowledging the observers who quietly plug away at these
observations without their names appearing in News Flashes or Alert Notices,
I will append a monthly observer total to the NMO Digest.
Although not intended to turn this into a contest of numbers, if it spurs a
little competitive interest that results in more observations, so be it.

Thank you all for your efforts in collecting this data.

Keep up the good work,
Mike Simonsen

Observer Totals NMO Stars - September 03 (thru Sept 29)
Note: this is not an "official" count. So if your records differ slightly
don't worry, please.

Code: #NMO obs  (Name)
AAP: 2 (ABBOTT, A. PATRICK)
BBA: 1 (BEAMAN, BARRY B.)