[vsnet-lpv 156] Re: flares in Mira stars

Re: flares in Mira stars

   The following information is from John Greaves:

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:35:42 +0000
Subject: preliminary flaring mira shortlist

Okay, thanks to Ondrej's post especially, there can a very short
short list put forward for this.

I consider Ondrej's post interesting because it is instrument based,
and thereby free from Purkinje Effect.  Of course, instrumentation is
not totally free of problems.

The inclusion of V Cyg is very interesting in light of the de
Laverny/Hipparcos Venice Symposium conjecture that a bias existed
towards late type M stars (ie relatively 'oxygen rich' red giants
with higher than average concentrations of Vanadium Oxide, VO, in
their outer atmospheres).

V Cyg is a carbon star (CGCS 4939), objects usually deemed oxygen
poor.  Yet on the other hand, the MSX5C experiment logs it as being
variable in band A, and band A only, said band encompassing the 9.8
micron emission region for silicates.  Maybe the professionals can
comment on this apparent contradiction?

X Dra and RU Lyr seem to fit the bill better in terms of the VO
hypothesis expectations.

T UMi may flare or not, but it is not a normal Mira, and I would not
include it in any first instance.

SUGGESTED OBSERVING SHORTLIST

I would suggest that people already observing R Aur and X Dra and  in
their sessions would put in the extra effort to observe each of them
several times during the nights they observe them, rather than just
the usual once as they probably do at present. If they would care to
observe them more regularly on a night by night basis, too, it would
also be useful.  These two stars should be reasonably circumpolar for
most Northern Hemisphere observers

As to whether archiving bodies readily accept multiple observations
of Miras for a single date, I do not know, but obviously this is what
is needed in this case.

I intend to read through and check the few papers on this topic, note
the dozen or two Miras mentioned in them, and check their lightcurves
from several organisations, also checking any interesting datapoints
on an observer identity level, when possible.

This will take time.  Also, I may not have access to much data for
all of them (eg X Dra seems not to be well covered), and I have very
little data altogether for Southern Hemisphere objects.

Anyway, a couple of people have expressed interest, so this is a
short list to be going on with, hopefully the sequences aren't too
bad.  Mira itself can be added to the list if people wish.  T UMi may
well be under regular observation at the moment due to its declining
period, so that too could be a target, but the amount of coverage
these objects need probably means it is best to select as short a
short list as possible, whilst not trying to put all your eggs in one
basket.  The first step is to observe enough objects frequently
enough such that if no flares are seen within a year or two, the
phenomenon can be fairly safely dismissed, or alternatively to catch
better evidence of flaring actually occuring than exists at present.
I'll try and find a couple more candidates to make this list slightly
larger. The current hypotheses suggest it should be fairly common for
certain types of stars, so if it's there, it should be seen soon
enough, maybes...

If flares are detected/confirmed, matters like frequency, duration,
phenomenology and host star characterization can follow naturally as
more data is accrued.

Cheers

John

John Greaves