[vsnet-ip 17] TV Col RXTE observations (Mukai)

TV Col RXTE observations (Mukai)

From: Koji Mukai <mukai@milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:06:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject: TV COl --- RXTE observations

Southern CV observers,

Even though TV Col has already faded to near-normal level according
to the most recent estimate, please monitor this system intensely for
the next few days.  During the 1991 outburst, it declined rapidly over
the first few hours, but yet remained a few tenths of a magnitudes
above the pre-outburst level for the subsequent few nights.

We observed YY Dra with the RXTE satellite during its recent outburst;
that outburst was similar to those of EX Hya and GK Per in that it was
accompanied by a large increase in the X-ray flux.  Moreover, there was
a hint that the X-ray decay lagged the optical decay somewhat.

We will be observing TV Col with RXTE (Dec 7th 07:27 - 08:29 UT and
09:03-09:36 UT).  If we are lucky, we might catch the tail of the
X-ray outburst.  In any case, it would be important for us to know
if there was a 'tail' to the rapid optical outburst as it did back
in 1991.

Thank you for your cooperations!

				Koji Mukai