[vsnet-id 816] Re: (fwd) Re: AAVSO names in SIMBAD

Re: (fwd) Re: [vsnet-id 808] Re: AAVSO names in SIMBAD

> The only problem would be in the SIMBAD link to the AAVSO database.

   There will be little problem if the AAVSO gets rid of Harvard
designations, as is clearly seen as the name resolver function (as mentioned
earlier by Aaron) on the AAVSO light curve generator.  I have probably
never used Harvard designation in getting AAVSO light curves, but only
used GCVS designations; I saw no serious problem.  If the AAVSO stops
assigning the Harvard designations to newly introduced variables,
they will be able to have more time for concentrating in more works
necessary in modern times.

> As for the mare's nest of designations (ROTSE, ASAS, etc.), they are
> assigned when the object was first "discovered" with the instrument
> or satellite.  In the vast majority, there is no other designation.

   One of the most important aspects of assigning new names to newly
recognized objects is that they can specify a class of new objects
(in SIMBAD category, variable stars have a "V*" category).  Names such
as HadV or TmzV are thus convenient that they show "they are recognized
variable stars" (probably discovered by the catalog author), not mere
measurements of some unclassified GSC or USNO star.

Return to the Daisaku Nogami