[vsnet-id 810] (fwd) Re: [vsnet-chat 6367] Re: AAVSO names in SIMBAD

Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 20:38:27 -0500
Subject: Re: [vsnet-chat 6367] Re: [vsnet-id 808] Re: AAVSO names in SIMBAD
From: Michael Koppelman <lolife@bitstream.net>

I heard a rumor, and I don't remember where, that the AAVSO was
considering abandoning the Harvard designation?

I agree that less is more when it comes to designations, but the AAVSO
observation database, chart database, etc. have been around a long,
long time. It is a mountain of work for the AAVSO to make a change in
that regard. Even if they did, they will need to keep the designations
around to cross-reference older non-electronic observations (which they
still go back and refer to when necessary).

On the TASS list we discussed this issue and I believe the consensus
was to refer to stars by non-TASS-specific designations whenever
possible. I see no value in having a TASS designation, an ASAS
designation, a ROTSE designation, etc, etc, etc. I understand why they
do it, but they should be considered internal designations only and
should not be referred to otherwise, IMHO.

Maybe sometime one of you guys could help educate us amateurs on the
proper hierarchy of names.

\Michael   ;)