From: Mati Morel <morel@ozemail.com.au>
To: pfwilliams@onaustralia.com.au;
vsnet-chat@ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp;
vsnet-id@ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Subject: [vsnet-id 774] Re: [vsnet-chat 6164] NSV4499 - Gone?
Date: Saturday, 15 March 2003 6:04

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter F Williams" <pfwilliams@onaustralia.com.au>
To: "vsnet-chat" <vsnet-chat@ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 7:57 AM
Subject: [vsnet-chat 6164] NSV4499 - Gone?

> Dear All,
>
> I have recently made some observations of NSV4499 around magnitude 14,
> assuming it to be a red variable.  It lies near the Mira star Y Vel.  An
> associate obtained a CCD image to help with correct identification (the
> RASNZ chart is rather poor) but from this the star I have been observing
is
> clearly not red and there does not appear to be any nearby suitable
> candidates.  The Simbad returns no listing for this star.
>
> Does NSV4499 no longer exist, previously show to be nonvariable or
perhaps
> a mis identification?

Firstly, the reference to a chart given in the printed version of the NSV
appears to be wrong. The reference (681194) is used for a number of stars
plotted on RASNZ charts, and probably should read "Charts for Southern
Variables, Series 3. 1968.
Astronomical Research Ltd, Greerton, Tauranga, New Zealand."
NSV 4499 appears on chart 89 of Series 3, under its old name CSV 1454. The
dot symbol used is rather large, suggesting a tenth mag. star, but this is
misleading. I possess the actual Harvard photo upon which chart 89 is
based.
NSV 4499 is clearly visible, but only about 12.9 mag.  Frank Bateson
(Director of VSS) made the identification, and the star matches in position
with GSC 8179.3334 (13.7) at 9h28m0.62s -52°11'2.9"   This identification
seems secure, assuming there has been no gross error in Luyten's position,
which is only approximate.

Regards,
Mati

morel@ozemail.com.au   .