[vsnet-id 407] Re: Strange object

> My name is Cristovao Jacques and I'm the Scientific Director of the Centro
> de Estudos Astronomicos de Minas Gerais, an Astronomy Club here in Brazil .
> Our main activity is the astrometry follow-up of Neo's and comets and
> Supernovae search.
> Last  month,  my colleague Tasso Napoleao and I , imaged the region around
> Nova  Velorum.
> After that, we noticed a very strange object that was in a similar shape
> with a planetary nebulae. After a careful search in the Simbad site, the
> only match we found was an  object that  had the same coordinates of the
> USNO catalogue star : USNO-A2.0  0300-10475620  with
> Bmag - 19.3 and Rmag 17.2 .
>
> The coordinates of this object are :
>
> RA  :  10 44 40
> Dec : -52 36 30.5
> Epoch (2000.0)

   The object is probably identical with as ASAS variable star,
ASAS_J104440-5236.5.  The mean magnitude is I=12.12, which shows that
the object is a very red one.

104439.9 -523629 (2000.0) ASAS_J104440-5236.5 12.12I (0.48)

   The type of variability is unknown, but the red color suggest some
sort of red variable.  Such an object masy be surrounded by a nebulocity.
I forward your query to Yamaoka-san and VSNET for further examination.