[vsnet-id 374] Re: VSNET name policy proposal

Dear colleagues,

> > There is no R.A. and Decl. in the list. So when people observe a
> > possible variable star with no GCVS nor NSV name, they cannot judge
> > whether the star has been reported to the VSNET in the past. If it has
> > been reported, people cannot know what name was used in the last
> > report for the star they observed.
>
>    Use newvar.cat in such cases.  If the objects are neither in newvar.cat
> nor resolved by alias.lst, we can't offer additional a priori information.

I downloaded the following file:

  http://ftp.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/others/newvar.cat

Yes, it solves the problems.

So the rule for VSNET, at least in case to report magnitude data from
the MISAO Project, will be as follows.

* If a star has a GCVS name, people must report it using the
  VSNET-style GCVS name (e.g. R And -> ANDR).

* If a star has a NSV name, people must report it using the
  VSNET-style NSV name (e.g. NSV 12 -> NSV00012).

* When to report the magnitude of a star with no GCVS or NSV name,
  check the newvar.cat list. If the star is in the list, use the name.

* When to report the magnitude of a star with no GCVS or NSV name, and
  not in the newvar.cat list, people can assign any kind of name for
  the star but people must attach the R.A. and Decl., at least for the
  first time.

* The VSNET manager adds the newly assigned name and position to the
  newvar.cat list.

I sometimes receive the [vsolj-db] mails which contain the name and
position for new (not recorded in the newvar.cat list before, I guess)
objects. When we receive the mails, do we have to use the name in that
mails? Or, aren't the data in the mails added to the newvar.cat list?

Best regards,

--
Seiichi Yoshida
comet@aerith.net