[vsnet-id 357] Re: VSNET name policy proposal

Dear colleagues,

Taichi Kato wrote:
>    We have this kind of "alias database", whose sample (internally used,
> not complete) is seen at:
>
>    http://ftp.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/Mail/vsnet-obs/alias.lst

I downloaded the file. However, that list does not solve all of the
name problems...

There is no R.A. and Decl. in the list. So when people observe a
possible variable star with no GCVS nor NSV name, they cannot judge
whether the star has been reported to the VSNET in the past. If it has
been reported, people cannot know what name was used in the last
report for the star they observed.

>    If further aliases as reported in this format, we would be very glad
> to add them.  Perhaps vsnet-id would be the most suitable list.

That is too hard for us, I think. Without R.A. and Decl., I cannot
see which name is the alias of another name.

But maybe there is another solution. People can use any kinds of
various names for one star. Whatever names we used, if we obey the
following point, the VSNET manager updates the alias list and merge
the magnitude data properly.

> * When to report the magnitude of a star with no GCVS or NSV name,
>   people must attach the R.A. and Decl., at least for the first time.

In this case, only the format to show the set of the name, R.A., and
Decl. must be determined. However, in this case, the alias list will
be longer and longer.

Best regards,

--
Seiichi Yoshida