[vsnet-id 348] VSNET name policy proposal (Re: 'Q' numbers of 'The Astronomer')

Dear colleagues,

I wrote:

> Maybe we can report such possible objects in any names. When several
> people reports the magnitude of the same object using the different
> names, VSNET managers may show us one name and lead us to use it, or
> automatically merge them.

I have one proposal to solve the name problem in the VSNET. I do not
know if it is easy or extremely hard. How do you think of it.

* If a star has a GCVS name, people must report it using the
  VSNET-style GCVS name (e.g. R And -> ANDR).

* If a star has a NSV name, people must report it using the
  VSNET-style NSV name (e.g. NSV 12 -> NSV00012).

* When to report the magnitude of a star with no GCVS or NSV name,
  people must attach the R.A. and Decl., at least for the first time.

* The VSNET manager keeps the "name database" of all reported star's
  names and the R.A. and Decl., and probably the news source (IBVS
  ????, [vsnet-????], etc.).

* The SIMBAD-like query service specified for the VSNET use. One
  returns the reported names from the R.A. and Decl. One returns the
  R.A. and Decl. and the news source from the name.

* When one of the VSNET manager (or anyone) finds that there are
  several names used for one star, the manager announce it to the
  mailing list and leads us to use one name after that. And deletes
  the other names from the "name database".

Speaking of the MISAO Project activity, I will add any kinds of stars
to the database when I found them. Nobody has the authority to
determine the single name for a star right now. So only I can do is to
apply it my favorite name and report the magnitude to the VSNET using
the name. But when everyone does so, magnitude data of one star are
splitted into some pieces. I think the system and rule to keep the
"one name for one star" principle are required for VSNET now.

Best regards,

--
Seiichi Yoshida
comet@aerith.net