[vsnet-id 309] Re: DV Dra

Dear Prof. Samus,

> I have a question concerning your paper "The 1995 Outburst of DV Dra"
> (IBVS, 1995, No. 4279). In the paper, you quote the coordinates of the
> star (18h17m24s.44 +50deg48'16".6, 2000) you report to have been observed
> in a new outburst. We possess the discovery plates used by Pavlov and
> Shugarov (Astron. Tsirk., 1985, No. 1373), clearly showing DV Dra in
> outburst at a position different from yours; our photographic astrometry
> of DV Dra gives the coordinates 18h17m23s.10 +50deg48'18".08, 2000.0, ep.
> 1984.433. Your VSNET light curve clearly shows variations. Either you
> observe another star, or your published position is in error. Can you
> kindly comment?

   The matter had been discussed in vsnet-id 182 and 183 (attached below).
Now it is evident that the true DV Dra is different from that reported
in IBVS 4279.  The most likely explanation is that the detected object
(not DV Dra) is a red star, which appeared bright on Iida's unfiltered
CCD images.  He made many negative observations in 1994 and 1995, but they
did not reach the detection magnitude.  It looks most likely this star
is at the very limit of Iida's system, which made a transient positive
detection.  The two V-band observations made at Ouda Station both showed
V=18.6 (as mentioned in IBVS 4279), which are consistent with the
likely conclusion that this star did not vary very significantly.
The single Ouda magnitude quoted in the VSNET observations (VSNET light
curve) doesn't seem to correctly reflect the published magnitude.
(The on-line light curve incorrectly referes to vsnet-obs 1595, which was
superseded by vsnet-obs 1605; I will correct this error and incorrect
Iida's entries).  In conclusion, ther was no true DV Dra outburst
in 1995 October-November.

---