[vsnet-id 281] Re: CU Vul and CS4490

     In the CGCS introduction, Stephenson suggests the northern Milky Way
"within about 5 degrees of the galactic plane is now rather thoroughly
surveyed for carbon stars in the infrared to I mag. 12-13."  Assuming the
2MASS object is a carbon star, and with the J magnitude around 10, I'd guess
the object is near this completeness limit, and simply has hitherto been
overlooked.  The CGCS entry matching with CU Vul comes from the surveys
done in the 1950s at Case, where the limit was around 9th at I (per the
Stephenson comments also)---the 2MASS object is simply too faint to have
been picked up.

>> ...post these established identifications to vsnet-id...

     I got a note only yesterday from Pascal Dubois at CDS-Strasbourg asking
about this.  They will apparently be making the first series available
through the VizieR service, which includes flat ASCII versions of the
tables and notes/IDs.  In order to do this myself, I'd have to go through
manually and strip out all the LaTeX mark-up, which I'm loath to do if the
results are being provided elsewhere.
     One of these days, of course, I need to figure out how to get back
to making finals checks and preparing the remaining lists for publication.
Time, time, time...

\Brian