[vsnet-history 1809] old novae (Ringwald)

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1993 22:12:56 +0000 (WET)
From: Fred Ringwald <far@astro.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: Old novae with dwarf nova outbursts

Dear Dr. Kato:

I noticed these old novae in the recent circulars:

Q Cyg      (NA) <130-<140 Kat
V446 Her   (NA) <141(7) Myy
GK Per     (NA+DN) at minimum, 130-131 Kat,Nts,Sny,Yad
PU Vul     (ZAND/NC) 107-117 Kat,Mkn,Myy,Sny,Tbs

These are all old novae that have been claimed to show dwarf nova
outbursts. It is well documented that GK Per has these outbursts, but it
is not well documented for the others.

Do you also observe V1017 Sgr or V3890 Sgr? They are not on these lists,
but they are also old novae with significant variability in quiescence.
They and PU Vul are symbiotic stars, however, so their variability may not
be from dwarf nova outbursts.

I would like to examine all of these lightcurves in detail.
If you could, and if it is not too much bother, would you please e-mail
the complete lightcurves you have of these stars to me? Thanks,

Fred Ringwald                        ... to further the progress of science,
Department of Physics                    to guide to an understanding
Keele University, Keele                       of the majesty of the heavens,
Staffordshire, ST5 5BG                   to emphasize that
England                                 under the great celestial firmament,
                                 there is order, interdependence, and unity.
Internet: far@astro.keele.ac.uk               -- Adler Planetarium, Chicago
JANET: FAR@UK.AC.KEELE.PHYSICS.STARLINK
DECnet: KLVAD::FAR   Phone: +44-0782-621111 ext. 7892  Fax: +44-0782-711093