[vsnet-history 1778] Re: PG 2300+166 (Ringwald)

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 14:38:43 +0000 (WET)
From: Fred Ringwald <far@astro.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: PG2300+166

Dear Dr. Kato:

>      I have just seen your abstract in PASP.  I would be grateful if you
> can send me a copy of your forthcoming papers.

All right, I have just sent a copy of the thesis. I will put you on my
preprint list, for when the papers come out.

>      Concerning PG2300+166, did you record the magnitude when you took a
> spectrum (or may be guessed from the required exposure time)?  If the
> object is really a precataclysmic binary, and the object was in a bright
> phase (not in an eclipse), it may display narrow emission lines arising
> from the secondary facing the hot subdwarf.  If your spectrum showed
> a subdwarf without peculiarities, it seems to be a single subdwarf.
> I would like to know your opinion.

Here the magnitudes I have deconvolved from the spectra in my thesis (on
its way to you):

>From the one taken 1989 Nov 9, 4:25 UT, taken by Prof. John Thorstensen:

 V = 13.02, the spectrum covers 100% of the filter response curve
 R = 12.79, the spectrum covers  82% of the filter response curve

>From the red one, taken 1991 Oct 20, 2:01 UT, taken by me:

 R = 13.33, the spectrum covers  75% of the filter response curve
 I = 13.00, the spectrum covers  65% of the filter response curve

Keep in mind, too, that these spectra were taken through a slit, and so
may not be very accurate, photometrically.

Fred Ringwald                        ... to further the progress of science,
Department of Physics                    to guide to an understanding
Keele University, Keele                       of the majesty of the heavens,
Staffordshire, ST5 5BG                   to emphasize that
England                                 under the great celestial firmament,
                                 there is order, interdependence, and unity.
Internet: far@astro.keele.ac.uk               -- Adler Planetarium, Chicago
JANET: FAR@UK.AC.KEELE.PHYSICS.STARLINK
DECnet: KLVAD::FAR   Phone: +44-0782-621111 ext. 7892  Fax: +44-0782-711093

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami