[vsnet-history 1641] Soft Gamma Repeater! (Starrfield, nova net)

From: starrfie@hydro.la.asu.edu (Sumner Starrfield)
Subject: Soft Gamma Repeater!
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 93 9:18:06 MST

According to a report in IAU circular 5880, a source of
soft gamma-ray flashes has been identified.

Soft Gamma Repeaters are objects which briefly produce short soft
gamma-ray flashes (blackbody, with temperatures of ~10 keV, less than 1
second long) more than once.  In this they differ from classical Gamma
Ray Bursters, which produce (as far as we know) single episodes
(milliseconds to minutes long) of hard gamma-ray emission (power peaks
at a few hundred keV, observed at energies up to 10 GeV).

There are three SGRs known.  The subject of this message, SGR 1806-20,
has been observed over more than 100 flashes, mostly in the early
1980's.

Recently, Kulkarni & Frail (Nature, a couple of months ago, before
1806-20 started up again) found a radio source, which turned out to be
rare filled-plerion supernova remnant, in the 1806-20 error box.

After a long quiescent period, SGR 1806-20 started flashing again a few
weeks ago.  A call for monitoring at all wavelengths was issued by
IAU circular, and I repeated this call to the net, suyggesting that it
would be a good target for amateurs to photograph.

The ASCA X-ray telescope was observing the supernova remnant when the
SGR flashed on Oct 9.934 UT.  They found a simultaneous burst of
X-ray counts from a persistent X-ray source which is coincident with
the supernova remnant.

Unless Nature is viscious this means that SGRs come from supernova
remnants!

Were any of you observing this location (18h05m42s,-20o25'10" eq. 1950)
optically at this time (UT Oct 9 2225, nighttime in Europe, Africa and
western Asia)?  If so, I would be interested in hearing your results, either
positive or negative, in observing a flash of light from this object.