[vsnet-history 1493] beta Lyr (varstars)

Date: 	Thu, 16 Sep 1993 11:11:00 +0300
From: WDB3926%TAMZEUS.BITNET@FINHUTC.HUT.FI
Subject: Watch an Evolving Binary : Beta Lyrae

Subject: Beta Lyrae "Watch an Evolving Binary Star"

     In the June 1993 issue of _Sky and Telescope_ magazine John Isles
shows a light curve of Beta Lyrae made by naked-eye observations
made in 1987-88.  Since this eclipsing binary system is evolving,
it is important to continue observations of this star.  Mr. Isles
is collecting visual observations of Beta for the next few months
from readers of S&T.
     Beta Lyrae is a good star for those who are new to variable
star observing or for those who want to brush up on their naked
eye magnitude estimating.  One can get a rough light curve in
only a fortnight of observations.
     If anyone would like to include their visual estimates in
the follow-up report, then magnitudes can be sent to:

             (New Address)      John Isles
                                1016 Westfield Drive
                                Jackson, MI  49203-3630

or if you find email more convenient then please send measurements
to me at :
                                astro@tamu.edu

I will collect and forward results to him.  I can provide some data
already collected and equations of minima if there is interest.

        Beta Lyrae is fairly bright star and is easy to find near
Vega.  The brightness goes through a 12.94 day cycle with two maxima
and two minima.  Its unusual light curve is attributed to a toroidal disk
around the secondary star.  For more information on this binary star
and how to observe it see page 72 of the June 1993 issue of S&T.

L Y R A
|                                        |      STAR      MAGNITUDE
|                                        |  ========================
|               e              m         |
|                   a                    |  b   beta        3.3-4.1
|               z                        |  g   gamma       3.2
|         d                              |  z   zeta        4.1
|                                k       |  k   kappa       4.3
|                                        |  m   mu          5.1

I think that a series of observations of this star would make a nice
project for some undergraduate physics or astronomy students.
I would be glad to hear from anyone who is interested.

                                        Dan Bruton
                                        astro@tamu.edu

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku