[vsnet-history 1450] Radio SNe (Weiler)

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 93 14:12:25 EDT
From: Kurt w. Weiler <kweiler@shimmer.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: preprint

Dear Colleague,
       We have recently finished a review of the radio emission from
supernovae for the proceedings of the IAU Colloquium 145 on
Supernovae and Supernova Remnants held this past Spring in Xi'an,
China.  I have the text and figures in PostScript format.  If
you would like a copy, please let me know and I will e-mail you one.

Regards,
Kurt W. Weiler

RADIO SUPERNOVAE

Kurt W. Weiler
Schuyler D. Van Dyk
Remote Sensing Division, Naval Research Laboratory
Richard A. Sramek
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
Nino Panagia
Space Telescope Science Institute
University of Catania

ABSTRACT
       Radio observations have shown that some supernovae are powerful
radio emitters which increase rapidly in brightness to radio luminosities which
are hundreds to thousands of times greater than even the brightest known
supernova remnant, Cas A.  They then fade over a period of weeks, months,
or years.  This radio emission has been found to provide important
information about the nature of the progenitor stars, their mass loss rates,
and the circumstellar material surrounding them.  RSN observations may also
offer the possibility of extragalactic distance measurements.