[vsnet-history 1128] Electronic sending of VS observations to AAVSO (sci.astro - varstars)

Date: 	Fri, 11 Jun 1993 23:21:52 +0300
From: granslo@argo.uio.no
Subject: Electronic sending of VS observations to AAVSO

This report has been sent to the sci.astro news group:

In article <1993Jun11.154059.27199@decuk.uvo.dec.com> Dominique Dierick
(dierick@brsux0.bro.dec.com) writes:

>I wonder if there is a PC application allowing me to enter variable
>star observations in the correct AAVSO reporting format, and why not,
>have them send to the AAVSO via modem.
>Does someone have such a tool ?

It is possible to send observations electronically as simple text files
to AAVSO's Internet address: aavso@cfa0.harvard.edu. For regular
(monthly) reports two files are required:
1. A "RAW" file, formatted as to be used by their computer programs.
2. A "SUM" file, with relevant additional information.

The format of the .RAW file is as follows:
a. Designation of the variable: Columns 1-8, position for 1900.0, RA
   (hh mm) and Dec (+/- dd).
b. Name of the variable: Columns 14-27 (using upper-case letters),
   centered to left. For variables with standard names one should use
   the letters/numbers and the IAU abbreviation of the constellation.
c. Time of the observation: Columns 31-42, Julian date with decimals,
   with decimal point in column 38.
d. Magnitude: Columns 46-50, with decimal point in column 49. A nega-
   tive observation (the variable was not visible) is identified with
   a left paranthesis (() in column 46 and the magnitude is an upper
   limit of its brightness.
e. Uncertainty symbol: Column 51, the symbol is a colon (:).
f. Comment symbol: Column 52, symbol is C.
g. Observer Initials: Columns 61-65, the AAVSO observer initials should
   be used when known (use all upper-case letters).

An example (observer is H. Dahle):
....5....0....5....0....5....0....5....0....5....0....5....0....5
0959+68      CH UMA           2449062.39      13.0          DAH

The following should be included in the .SUM file:
a. Time interval for the observations (year and month(s)).
b. Name and address of the observer. Files with observations made by
   more than one observer should have the observers' names, adresses
   and initials at the beginning.
c. Total number og observations and numbers of inner sanctum obser-
   vations (magnitude 13.8 or fainter for positive observations,
   magnitude 14.0 or fainter for negative observations) for each
   observer.
d. The observations in the .RAW file, plus information of comparison
   stars etc.

The observations may be entered manually with a text editor, but it is
more efficient to use a suitable computer program.

                                                  Regards,
                                              Bjorn H. Granslo