[vsnet-history 1062] confirmation nova (van Driel)

Date: Fri, 28 May 93 02:16:34 JST
From: Wim van Driel           <lvandri@c1.mtk.nao.ac.jp>
Subject: confirmation nova

Dear Kato-san,

Hirayama- Sasaki- and Nakamura-san of the National
Astronomical Observatory of Japan we made observations
with the 105-cm Kiso SChmidt and sent the following
message to DR. Marseden of the IAUC:

Subject: confirmation nova near IRAS 17166-0546
Dear DR. Marsden,

we just checked the report of a possible nova near or at the
position of IRAS 17166-0546 which was apparently first
observed at 10.7 mag on 23 May. We confirm the appearance
of a new very red stellar object at the position reported
(17 16 40.5, -05 46 00 epoch 1950.0) from B,V,I CCD images
made with the Kiso Schmidt telescope. We can not give accurate
magnitudes yet.

Yours sincerely,

Wim van Driel

Kiso Observatory