[vsnet-history 604] Nova Cyg 1992 HST results (Shore, nova net)

Date: 4 Apr 93 01:27:00 EST
From: "STARS::HRSSHORE" <HRSSHORE%STARS.decnet@hrs.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: We interrupt this supernova for news about N Cyg 1992: New HST results

Second GHRS Observation of Nova Cyg 1992, 1993 Apr. 1 -- Hot Off the
Satellite

Steve Shore (GHRS Science Team/CSC/GSFC), Sumner Starrfield (ASU),
George Sonneborn (LASP/GSFC), Tom Ake (GHRS/CSC/GSFC), and Charo
Gonzalez-Riestra (IUE/Vilspa)

We have obtained a second Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph (GHRS)
observation of Nova Cyg 1992 on 1 Apr. 1993.  The data are all
medium resolution (R=15000) large aperture 20 minute integrations.  We
have observed the following lines:
	N V 1240, O IV]/S IV] 1400, N IV] 1486, C IV 1550, [Ne V]
	1575, [Ne IV] 1602, He II 1640, O III] 1665, N III] 1750,
	C III] 1910.
The preliminary results show that the emission line profiles are now
all optically thin.  In our earlier observations on 1992 Sept. 7 we
found that the resonance lines were all still optically thick.  The
[Ne IV], [Ne V], He II, and N IV] profiles are essentially identical,
showing strong (50% or greater) contrast between the emission knots
and the diffuse emission.  The line widths are also the same, FWHM of
about 2000 km/s (the wings are slightly narrower than seen in the
earlier spectra).  The C IV and N V profiles are quite similar, also
displaying many knots of emission (much like those seem on Mg II 2800
since about 1992 May 20).  An important result of this new observation
is the confirmation that Lyman alpha was in emission in Sept. while it
is now absent from the spectrum -- this supports its identification in
the low resolution IUE data.

The ejecta appear now to be spectroscopically dominated by a
relatively small number of strong emission filaments, moving a
comparatively low velocity (about 1000 km/s).  We are continuing
monitoring with IUE.  Any observers who are able to obtain groundbased
spectrophotometry are urged to communicate their results to this mail
system, or directly to Steve Shore (hrsshore@stars.gsfc.nasa.gov) or
Sumner Starrfield (starrfie@hydro.la.asu.edu).  We are especially
interested in He II 4686 and [O II] and [O III] profiles at comparable
resolution to the GHRS spectra.