[vsnet-grb-info 18] GRB011212: Optical observations

TITLE:   GCN GRB OBSERVATION REPORT
NUMBER:  1196
SUBJECT: GRB011212: Optical observations
DATE:    01/12/13 11:02:19 GMT
FROM:    Derek Fox at CIT  <derekfox@astro.caltech.edu>

D.W. Fox and P.A. Price (Caltech) with S. Pravdo, E. Helin, K. Lawrence
and M. Hicks (NEAT/Palomar) report on behalf of the larger
Caltech-NRAO-CARA GRB collaboration:

"We have observed the error box of the HETE GRB011212 (GCN #1194) with
the Palomar 48-inch telescope on 2001 December 13.15 UT.  Our 120s
exposure covers the entire HETE + RXTE/ASM joint error box to
approximately the DPOSS plate limit (r ~ 21 mag).  We detect only one
bright object not present on the DPOSS F-plate, which object we
identify as an asteroid based on its large proper motion on comparison
with an image taken 20 minutes later.  No other afterglow candidates
are identified within the error-circle.  Further observations are
planned."

This message may be cited.