[vsnet-gcvs 221] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] V893 Sco positional error

Re: [AAVSO-DIS] V893 Sco positional error

> Recently I referenced SIMBAD regarding this CV, and was surprised to see
> the location given is completely wrong! SIMBAD lists it as 16:14:45
> -28:39:04 (J2000) whereas its actual coordinates are about 16:15:15
> -28:37:32 This is a 7 arcmin positional error! Is there another
> object named V893 Sco that SIMBAD refers to? The DSS plates show a very
> faint one nearly at the position SIMBAD states.

   SIMBAD apparently takes over the original GCVS position.  The original
finding chart referenced in the GCVS was also wrong.  The true identification
was recognized upon Haseda's independent discovery (recovery) of this
dwarf nova (see IBVS 4585 for details).