[vsnet-conference 29] (fwd) Mass-Losing Pulsating Stars and Their Circumstellar Matter

(fwd) Mass-Losing Pulsating Stars and Their Circumstellar Matter

                           FINAL  ANNOUNCEMENT

                                Workshop
                                   on
       MASS-LOSING PULSATING STARS AND THEIR CIRCUMSTELLAR MATTER

           --- Newest Results of Observations and Theory  ---

                 http://www.astr.tohoku.ac.jp/ws2002/

                              Sendai, Japan
                             May 13-16, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

This is the final announcement for the international workshop on
"Mass-losing Pulsating Stars and Their Circumstellar Matter" to be held in
Sendai, Japan in May 13-16, 2002. In this announcement you find the
schedule for scientific sessions and social events. Further information
will be put on our web site and will be up-dated whenever necessary.

In the followings, we give a gross schedule for the workshop and the list
of oral presentations, which are followed by some remarks on the digital
projector for oral presentations and on the poster presentations.
At the end of this circular, you find information about proceedings
and conference venue.

A GROSS SCHEDULE OF THE WORKSHOP:

Sunday 12, May 18:00 -- 21:00
        Registration
        Welcome Party
          at International Conference Room of Saito Ho-on Kaikan

Monday  13, May 9:00 -- 18:00
        ( 8:00 --  Registration desk open)
        Opening
        Session 1:  Recent results of massive photometry
        Session 2:  Pulsation and properties of mass-losing stars

Tuesday 14, May 9:00 -- 18:00
        Session 3:  Optical and IR observations of circumstellar matter
        Poster viewing hours
        Session 4:  Radio and mm observations of circumstellar matter
        Poster viewing hours

Wednesday 15, May 9:00 --
        Session 4 continued
        Excursion to Mizusawa and Matsushima Bay (10:15 -- 17:30)
        Banquet (18:30 -- 20:30)
          A special talk will be presented by Prof. Kaifu, N. (NAO, Japan)

Thursday 16, May 9:00 -- 16:00
        Session 5:  Distribution of maser sources in the Galaxy
        Session 6:  VERA and other future projects
        Closing

The SOC has received approximately fifty requests for oral contribution
and also thirty for poster session. The SOC decided to accept
25 oral contributions among them, and the others are accepted in the
poster session. The time of the talk including five minute discussion is
indicated below.

THE LIST OF ORAL PRESENTATIONS:

Wood, P.R. (Australia)
        The sequence of mass-losing AGB stars in the Magellanic Clouds:
        from small amplitude pulsators to post-AGB star (invited, 30 min)
Cioni, M.R. (Germany)
        Red giants in the Magellanic Clouds and other Local Group
        galaxies (invited, 30 min)
Whitelock, P.A. (South Africa)
        The luminosity of AGB variables (invited, 30 min)
Noda, S. (Japan)
        Photometric properties of long-period variables in the
        Large Magellanic Cloud (invited, 20 min)
Ojha, Devendra (India)
        Stellar sources in the ISOGAL outer bulge fields (15 min)
Kucinskas, A. (Lithuania)
        Studies of the AGB stars with GAIA (15 min)
Glass, I. (South Africa)
        Characteristics of AGB stars in the ISOGAL, MACHO and other
        databases (15 min)

Fujimoto, M. (Japan) TBA (invited 30 min)
Buchler, J.R. (USA)
        Nonlinear properties of semi-regular variables (invited, 30 min)
Dorfi, E.A. (Austria)
        Nonlinear pulsation of LBVs (invited, 30 min)
Groenewegen, M. (Belgium)
        Mass-losing and pulsating stars in the Magellanic Clouds (invited, 30 min)
Feast, M.W. (South Africa)
        The luminosities and Galactic kinematics of Mira variables (invited, 20 min)
Zijlstra, A. (UK)
        Period and mass-loss irregularity in Mira variables (15 min)
Ambika, G. (India)
        Chaotic pulsations in irregular variable (15 min)
Simis, Y. (Germany)
        Time dependent modeling of mass loss on the AGB (15 min)
Weinberger, R, (Austria)
        Asymmetrical mass loss on the AGB: Examples from IRAS data (15 min)
Matsuura, M. (UK)
        The extended atmosphere and evolution of the RV Tau star R Scuti (15 min)
Perrin, G. (France)
        The issue of center to limb variations for Mira stars: evidence
        of CO and H20 contaminations from K and L band interferometric
        observations (15 min)
Scholz, M. (Germany)
        Monochromatic radii: a tool of Mira diagnostics (15 min)

Winters, J.M. (Germany)
        Confronting consistent dust shell models with observations
        of long-period variable stars (invited, 30 min)
Jura, M. (USA)
        Mid-IR observations of evolved stars (invited, 30 min)
Monnier, J. (USA)
        High-resolution imaging of dust shell -- asymmetry and
        temporal evolution (invited, 30 min)
Bastien, P. (Canada)
        The circumstellar environment of AGB stars studied by polarimetry
        (invited, 20 min)
Yamamura, I. (Japan)
        ISO-SWS observations of warm molecular layers and circumstellar
        envelopes (invited, 30 min)
Izumiura, H. (Japan)
        Violet spectra of carbon stars associated with silicate dust
        features (invited, 20 min)
Tanabe, T. (Japan)
        NIR monitoring observations of the clusters in the Magellanic Clouds
        (15 min)
Menzies, J. (South Africa)
        The brightest stars on the AGB of the Leo I dwarf spheroidal galaxy
        (15 min)
de Laverny, P. (France)
        VLT observations of the dusty envelope of IRC+10216 (15 min)
Cami, J. (The Netherlands)
        Infrared spectroscopy of gas and dust around O-rich AGB stars (15 min)
Takami, H. (Japan)
        Detection of extended water vapor atmosphere of Mira by near-infrared
        spectroimagery using Subaru adaptive optics system (15 min)

Elitzur, M. (USA)
        The structure of winds in AGB stars (invited, 30 min)
Bujarrabal, V. (Spain)
        Molecular observations of circumstellar envelopes around
        AGB star (invited, 30 min)
Reid, M. (USA)
        Radio-photospheres: imaging and light curves at
        cm-wavelengths (invited, 30 min)
Kwok, Sun (Canada)
        Circumstellar arcs in AGB and post-AGB stars (20 min)
Vlemmings, W. (The Netherlands)
        Magnetic fields in the circumstellar envelopes of late-type stars
        (20 min)
Yi, Jiyune (Sweden)
        Multi-epoch simultaneous observations of v=1 and v=2 at 43 GHz
        SiO masers using the VLBA (15 min)
Humphreys, EML (Sweden)
        Models of maser emission in AGB stars (15 min)
Miyoshi, M. (Japan)
        VLBA observations of the v=1 and 2 SiO J=1-0 maser emissions
        in VY CMa (15 min)
Rudnitskij, G. (Russia)
        Optical and microwave spectroscopy of long-period variable stars (15 min)

Habing, H. (The Netherlands)
        The distribution of OH/IR stars in our Milky Way Galaxy (invited, 30 min)
Sjouwerman. L. (USA)
        Masers in the Galactic Center (invited, 30 min)
Deguchi, S. (Japan)
        SiO maser sources near the Galactic Center (invited, 30 min)
Blommaert, J. (Belgium)
        ISO results on AGB stars in the inner Galaxy (invited, 30 min)
Messineo, M. (The Netherlands)
        86 GHz SiO maser survey in late-type stars in the inner Galaxy (15 min)
Winnberg, A. (Sweden)
        How does the Galactic Bulge rotate? (15 min)
Imai, H., (The Netherlands)
        SiO maser survey towards the stellar cluster at the Galactic Center
        (15 min)

van Langevelde, H. (The Netherlands)
        Astrometry of circumstellar masers (invited, 30 min)
Kobayashi, H., & Sasao, T. (Japan)
        Current status and observational prospects of VERA Project (invited, 30 min)
Van Dinh, trung (China R.)
        Current research on late-type stars at ASIAA, Taiwan (invited, 20 min)
Gouda, N. (Japan)
        IR space astrometry - JASMINE project (invited, 20 min)
Sato, K. (Japan)
        MIRA project (Mitaka optical and InfraRed Array) and the
        observations of Mira variables (15 min)

We have a digital projector, which is used with a notebook computer for
presentation. If you want to use our digital projector for your
presentation, however, please bring with you material for OH Projector just
in case there occur troubles with connection between your computer and our
digital projector and those related to inconsistency in operating systems.
Please also note that electric appliances in Japan are used at the voltage of
100 V.

The room for poster session will be open from the afternoon of Monday 13
May to the noon of Thursday 16 May. A poster board has a width of 180cm and
a height of 90cm. The board is held by poles such that the upper horizontal
edge of the board is located 210cm above the floor. One board will be
assigned to each poster paper. Tape to attach the posters
to the boards will be provided by the LOC.

PROCEEDINGS:

The proceedings will be published from the KLUWER as an ASSL
volume. The page limit is basically 8 pages for the invited talk,
4 pages for the oral presentation, and 2 pages for the poster. The
deadline of the manuscript is July 15. We will soon put the author
guidelines on the home page  http://www.astr.tohoku.ac.jp/ws2002/

CONFERENCE VENUE

All scientific sessions of the conference will take place in

        International Conference Room
        Saito Ho-on Kaikan
        Hon-cho 2-20-2, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-0014, Miyagi, Japan
        Tel: 81-22-262-5506

Saito Ho-on Kaikan is beside HOTEL SENDAI PLAZA and is about 15 minutes'
walk from Sendai railway station. You can take subway from SENDAI subway
station to KOTODAI KOEN subway station. To find a city map of Sendai,
please visit the web pages:

http://www.stcb.or.jp/v_tour_html_e/v_tourf.html
or
http://www.siip.city.sendai.jp/kankokoryu/english/

Internet access will be available for your note PC as a DHCP client.
An Ethernet adaptor (10 Base T) is required to connect your PC with a hub.
We also prepare a PC that provides terminals of telnet or ssh.

CONTACT
        M. Seki, LOC chair
        Astronomical Institute
        Tohoku University